What can be better than a vegan dessert that is made of only natural ingredients (like my fudgy bean brownies)? A vegan dessert which only has 6 easy ingredients and takes 5 minutes to make, of course! I tried making similar truffle-like dessert balls last winter, but the consistency wasn’t right and they didn’t stick together very well. It did taste delicious, however, so instead I just added a scoop to the bottom of my dessert smoothies. I gave it another go and they came out unbelievably good. Sometimes less is more, and that was certainly the case this time.
These bites are perfect for when you’re in the mood for something sweet but you’re not feeling the 45 minute bake time, or when you’re in the mood for dessert but don’t want a dozen brownies lurking around over the next two days (or two hours if it’s that kinda day…I’ve been there…). They are rich, chewy, sweet, and beyond decadent. If you can press a button on a blender/food processor, and roll the mixture into balls, you can make these bites. That is, if there’s anything left to make into balls once you start tasting this batter.
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted almonds (roasted almonds will change the taste completely)
- 1/8 cup hazelnuts
- 5 dates, pitted
- 3 tsp cacao powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- pinch of salt (enhances the sweetness)
- Optional – I coated some of mine with unsweetened coconut, cinnamon, and cacao powder.
- Blend the almonds, hazelnuts, dates, and cacao powder in a blender/food processor until most of the nuts have become a powder but there is still some texture, i.e. small pieces of almonds and hazelnuts. If the dates did not chop into smaller pieces, just tear them apart by hand a little more.
- Pour the blended mixture into a small bowl and add the maple syrup and salt.
- Mix together and form into small balls, about 3/4 inch in diameter, with your hands. Makes about 5 balls.