This has been my go-to soup for pretty much all of my adult life, or whenever it was that I began cooking for myself, so I can’t believe I haven’t shared the recipe sooner. It’s pretty much a fool-proof soup, because unless you over-salt this, you can’t really mess it up. You can also add in pretty much whatever you like. And since this soup is loaded with fiber, protein, and iron, what’s not to love?
Over the summer, I wrote about the harmful chemicals found in most beauty products. Click here to read the full blog post. Last night I hosted a party to share this information with my friends, and sprinkle some balanced bella deliciousness along the way. There was cavatappi with garlic, oil, spinach and beans, toasted Israeli couscous, guacamole, hummus, and some double chocolate chip cookies. Suffice it to say, a clean, hearty soup is exactly what is needed today.
- 2 heads of escarole
- about 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed well
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed well
- 8 cups (64 oz) vegetable broth
- 2 cups pasta, cooked *
- salt to taste
- optional: 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp red pepper flakes
*Do not add uncooked pasta to this, as all the liquid will be soaked up into the pasta.
- Wash the escarole and cut into one to two inch chunks.
- In a large pot with a lid, heat olive oil on medium/high heat.
- Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the beans and saute for another 30 seconds, mixing gently.
- Add the escarole, vegetable broth, pasta, red pepper, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Simple, healthy, and delicious! Enjoy.